Thursday, July 31, 2014

A Certain List of Anime...


I have been spending the very little "ME" time I get by catching up on my Anime. It got me to thinking about all the different types that are out there. I did one post in the past on five Anime movies that I liked.

Click Here to see it

Why not a share a list of the shows that I enjoy also?
So here we go...



Before I get going I would like to share that Anime can be watched in the original language with subtitles, or it can be dubbed in to English. This argument apparently gets many fans in an uproar to which is the corect way to watch. I am the type that prefers the original voice actors performing with subtitles. There is no wrong or right way, but many of the English Dubbed versions don't come out till much later. 

One Week Friends



High school sophomore Yūki Hase noticed that Kaori Fujimiya, his classmate, was always alone. He tried to start a conversation with her but was turned down: "My memories of friendship can last only a week," she said. Despite of knowing this shocking truth, Yūki keeps trying to be Kaori's "new" friend every week.

Think of 50 First Dates but instead of her memory being reset every night, it happens every Monday. She only loses the memories of her friends, but not of her family or acquaintances. It is a romantic comedy that is set in a school environment. He gets her to write a diary of the things that happen so she can remember him. I would call this a chick flick, but my son started watching it with me. I guess he can relate to trying to make friends in school.




 The Devil is a Part-Timer!
 

In another dimension the Devil King Sadao is only one step away from conquering the world when he is beaten by Hero Emilia and forced to drift to the other world: modern-day Tokyo. As "conquering the world" are the only skills the Devil King possesses - and are obviously unnecessary in his new situation - he must work as a freeter* to pay for his living expenses.


*Freeter is a Japanese expression for people who lack full-time employment 



This one starts out with an epic fantasy battle. When the Devil King flees with his second in command through a portal, they find that on the other side they are turned into teenagers with virtually no powers. To pay the bills Sado Maou gains employment at MgRonalds and hilarity ensues. They have to adapt to the real world before their plans for world domination can be obtained. To make it worse on them the Hero Emi Yusa followed them. She is also a teen with virtually no powers, and works as a call center customer service agent.
If you like sci fi/fantasy comedy, this is a great one to enjoy. 




Attack On Titan


  Several hundred years ago, humans were nearly exterminated by giants. Giants are typically several stories tall, seem to have no intelligence, devour human beings and, worst of all, seem to do it for the pleasure rather than as a food source. A small percentage of humanity survived by enclosing themselves in a city protected by extremely high walls, even taller than the biggest of giants. Flash forward to the present and the city has not seen a giant in over 100 years. Teenage boy Eren and his foster sister Mikasa witness something horrific as the city walls are destroyed by a super giant that appears out of thin air. As the smaller giants flood the city, the two kids watch in horror as their mother is eaten alive. Eren vows that he will murder every single giant and take revenge for all of mankind.


This is a intense and disturbing show. I have only seen the first 13 episodes and from that I can tell you that it brings the emotion and feel of a great movie. It has a medieval vibe to it with the most powerful weapon they have to fight with are cannons. The society is advanced enough to use pressurized gases to send them shooting through the air to attack the Titans whose only weak spot is located on the back of the neck.





A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun


A Certain Magical Index

 Kamijou Touma is a student living in Academy City, a highly advanced place in terms of technology. Despite being gauged as a level zero esper (no powers), he possesses on his right hand the Imagine Breaker, an ability that negates any power whatsoever. Touma finds a young girl named Index who is trying to run away from Necessarius, a powerful magic organization that she is member of. Blessed with the skill of memorizing any sort of information, she holds 103,000 forbidden magical books within her head. As science and magic cross paths, Touma must face several dangers amid espers and magicians who appear at the exciting scientific town.

A Certain Scientific Railgun

Academy City is a highly developed place in terms of technology. It is said to be 20 to 30 years ahead of the rest of the world. Eighty percent of its 2.3 million residents are students. The focus of studies here is directed towards esper powers. Misaka Mikoto, one of the top level espers in town, shares a room with Kuroko Shirai, another high level esper who is a member of Judgement, a law enforcing agency composed of students. Both attend to Tokiwadai, a private school reserved for the high-leveled and the rich. Kuroko's partner at Judgement, Kazari Uiharu, is a low level esper who studies at Sakugawa middle school. Her best friend and classmate there is Ruiko Saten, a level zero (no esper powers). Together, the four encounter several adventures in the exciting scientific town.


Both of these titles are in the same universe. The characters cross paths many times on both shows. I started with Railgun and then watched Index. I had no clue that I was watching them in the wrong order. It made no difference other than the time line that the events take place in the shows. Some of the same things happen in both shows but it is shown a little different. This only occurs a couple of times.
 Index is about living in a scientifically advanced town that only believes in the power of espers. (those with special powers that can be measured on a scale of level 0 no powers to level 5 the most advanced.) Not the power of magic, that apparently comes from the Christian church. That is why the character named Index is a Nun. It can seem rather strange, but once you move past the logic then it is a lot of fun. The main Protagonist in Index is a boy named Touma. His right hand has the power to block and take away any form of Magic or Esper power. He is cursed with bad luck, that has a side effect of attracting women to him. I wish I was that unlucky.
 Railgun is named after the nickname of its main character Misaka. Railgun is told from the perspective of a girl who is a level 5 Electromaster. She is an Esper who can manipulate electrical force. She loves Academy City, but soon starts seeing the dark underside. Both shows have a funny side, and a dark serious side. It is this mixture that kept me coming back to them.
You can watch most of the full episodes on YouTube. 






There are others that I have been watching, but I will save that for another day.


Have you seen any of the shows I mentioned?
What Anime do you watch?


34 comments:

  1. I haven't seen any of these shows. They kind of remind me of Pokemon, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't watched anime in ages either. The Titan one looks good. And subtitles only for me, please.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the problem with the American or English versions. You get a culturally inept version.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pokemon can be considered Anime it is aired in Japan. All Anime have a certain look to them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I figured with your being in Japan you would have that feeling on the Sub over Dubb.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My anime experience is shockingly limited. I tried looking up a few of these but found I don't have access to them anywhere. I'll have to find a way to get them.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've seen a good bit of anime, but none of these. I don't watch the TV shows.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to do the same, only watching the movies. I had friends in college that got me to watching other things. So I got addicted to watching the tv shows also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I watched VOLTRON when I was a kid, if that counts as anime :) I've never really understood that animation style... why would you make them all always the same visually?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cool list. I'm an anime fan but haven't kept up on any of the new stuff. I'll have to check these out. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. My first anime was NOIR, a fantastic storyline. Next, came WITCH HUNTER ROBIN, a strange kind of church X-Files. THE LAST EXILE was fun with a not so fun ending. OH, MY GODDESS was just fun, strange but fun. I have statues of the two heroines of NOIR on one of my bookcases aiming their guns at an unruffled Yoda who tells stories!

    ReplyDelete
  12. David, do you realize how long ago that was? I don't even remember what I watched back then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey ,I can remember more from when I was young than what I can now!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would suppose it was just a cultural design. I don't realy know.
    VOLTRON is Japanese so I consider it ANIME.

    ReplyDelete
  15. No problem. I just recently started going back to the new stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  16. OH, My Goddess was great! HA! Give my regards to Yoda!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Gary Philip PennickJuly 31, 2014 at 7:17 PM

    Hey DAVID,


    Oh my, yes I seen virtually all of what you mentioned. The subtitles are hilarious when they are out of sync.


    Gary :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I understand a little Japanese, it helps that one of my neighbor is from there.
    But her name isn't TOTORO...

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've never got into Anime, but if I ever do want to watch a show I know where to come for a list. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thats why I'm here to share my nerd obsessions!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I haven't watched a lot of anime but I prefer with subtitles. The performances always come through better.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It's funny to think that if it wasn't for shows in English like Speed Racer as a kid, I wouldn't like Anime today with subtitles. The performance of the original actors seem to help me identify with the culture more.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I used to watch a lot of Anime, but now I'm a whole lot behind. I'm not familiar with any of these. Um-ah. My preference is the scifi ones.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Most of these are newer. I like the sci fi also, but I find that I have expanded my taste to other shows.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I used to have a huge thing for Yu Gi Oh! Hahahaha… I had my kids watch it the other day and it was awesome because they LOVED it. I haven't seen any other anime though. I do think it's so visually beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love the look of Anime. My son's favorite is one called Fairy Tail. He has read almost all the books, so when we watch it together he tends to spoil some of it.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anime is so much higher in quality than standard US-birthed cartoons. It makes me think of Speed Racer. Was that Anime? Maybe not, but I adored him - even though it wasn't quite clear he was a he. Still, I wanted to marry him and live in the fast lane.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Speed Racer was Anime. I loved Chim Chim the monkey.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never watched that much Anime. I've never been sure where to start and sometimes accessibility to the show can be an issue. Netflix has helped, but I usually stop after a few episodes of trying a show. Haven't found one that has really stuck with me yet. I'll reference the ones you listed here for future use.

    ReplyDelete
  30. They are aired in Japan, so it is a little difficult to get them right when they come out.
    With the miracle of the Internet we are able to receive them faster than just waiting on a DVD to come out.

    ReplyDelete
  31. very cool so much out there and so much i don't know... thank you for the solid post...

    ReplyDelete
  32. Passing on my nerd knowledge is my pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  33. you are the master... i am still a leaner.

    ReplyDelete