Monday, November 25, 2013

Teacher leave them kids alone...

What We Learned From Doctor Who
50th Anniversary


Now that the 50th is history, it is time for reflection.  What Does this means for the franchise from now on.
We'll look at the episode and to the future.
If you haven't seen Day of the Doctor...

*SPOILERS AHEAD*


The War Doctor, was mad as hell and wasn't going to take it...NO MORE!
Hurt did an excellent job portraying a war weary Doctor. We first see his shadow, then we hear his gravelly voice command a soldier to give him his gun, as he blast the words NO MORE into the wall. Then demolished the Daleks with the TARDIS.

The Doctor was going to end it all. We knew how it ended by the reactions of the Doctors 9 through 11, but we never really knew How. 




I found it interesting that the device that was to end the Time War was sentient, and took the form of Rose from when she was BAD WOLF. I was never a big fan of Rose, but did enjoy Billie Piper playing the BAD WOLF Rose here. She gave the performance just a hint of what the episode The Doctors Wife had when the TARDIS was human.

If we have learned anything from watching Doctor Who all these years is time can be rewritten, endless you are at a fixed point in time, or you are Rory and Amy. (sorry had to throw that out there *Shakes fist at sky* Moffat!!)
The Day of the Doctor shows us the story of the Doctor in his three incarnations, and how they deal, or dealt, (depending on the Doctor), with the decision to destroy Gallifrey, and all the Time Lords.
It is fun and exciting from the beginning to the end, but it is the end that changes things for the show from now on.
Once again it is the Impossible girl Clara that influences the Doctor to "do the right thing" 

He chose his name she tells him. He is the Doctor, and he never gives up. She gives the Doctor the courage to be himself...and this is where all the fun really starts...
He decides to place Gallifrey in a fixed point in time, and hiding it somewhere in the Universe. While all the Dalek ships are firing full power at the planet, it disappears, and they destroy themselves in the crossfire. To do this he needs all his former selves to show up and use their TARDISes, 

this also includes one 12th Doctor...


Via http://www.bbcamerica.com


Peter Capaldi!
Just a glimpse of his brow shows you the type of Doctor he will be after the Christmas special, and Matt Smiths departure. So with Gallifrey saved, and placed in hiding the Doctor has a new mission, finding home. Who is it that gives him this idea, none other than himself...



(Sorry for the string of gifs but the BBC made this clip UK only.)

TOM BAKER! Yes, I screamed at the telly like a long lost fangirl. He was the curator of the museum that the picture of the last day of the Time War hung. It is implied that he is infact the Doctor, and that at some point and time in his future he will be able to control his regenerations to choose what ever face he wants. 
This also along with the Prequel Night of the Doctor also implies no limit to the number of times he can regenerate.
Speaking of Regeneration we get a parting shot of Hurts Doctor turning into Christopher Eccleston's Doctor.
Not quite the full effect but close enough to know that after this he will go on to be the Doctor that Rose meets in her shop.

So where does the show go from here? I believe that with Doctor #11 regenerating at Christmas it opens things up nicely for a new story arc of the 12th looking for his people, and maybe not liking what he finds. That just might be the pessimist in me, but I never have liked the Time Lords too much...except one...


Have you seen The Day of the Doctor?
What did you think?
Where do you see the show going now after 50 years?
  

33 comments:

  1. Although they kind of missed a golden opportunity to make the 12th Doctor a potential teenage starter franchise, since it seems until this point they'd gotten each new actor to be younger. Of course that would probably anger Who loyalists. It could also have exploded the franchise's popularity. Instead they're finally acknowledging the legacies of previous actors in the role, and that is also good, and a fine way to celebrate an anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, didn't watch it, but that was a really cool way to pull off the show and the ending. Seeing all those Doctors together must've been awesome. Would be like pulling all the Star Trek universes together for me. And John Hurt is amazing - nice touch to include him.
    You just might be right in your prediction.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't imagine a twilight version of Doctor Who...

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was nice to have what the fans have wanted for so long.
    To me John Hurt is a Doctor no less that any other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sure I'd have been completely lost the whole time if I'd watched it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I smiled the whole time also, and when Tom Baker showed up I think I hurt somthing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I watched with my wife and kids, and found that I had to explain a few things to her.
    She has watched most of Matt Smith's Doctor, but I found myself pausing it every so often to let her in on the fan inside jokes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i skipped everything... i don't want to know... damn you, damn you... doctor who!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, honestly, it's amazing that a show can still be going strong and so popular after 50 years! I think it's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  10. To bring coherence to a storyline that has gone on for 50 years is a major achievement! I knew you would love this one. I am glad it lived up to your expectations. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Steven Moffat has a way of twisting what you think will happen to something totally different.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I agree it left me wanting more. It will be interesting to see what he does with the Christmas episode. I really wanted to include the clip of Tom Baker, but didn't have access to it.*Shakes fist at sky* BBC!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ahhh, okay, skipping to comments because I haven't managed to get a hold of this to watch it yet!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. http://www.combom.co.uk/2013/11/download-day-of-doctor-here.html
    You can download it here^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^You might need a new player to see it.
    http://www.freemediaplayer.net/ <<<<<<<<<Here

    ReplyDelete
  15. Greetings David,


    I have seen The Day of the Doctor. And yes, it enticed and the twists were fascinating to watch. The show, from another perspective, has lost the interest of a number of my friends who recall it way back in the early days. They think it has become a little farcical. Still, I like it in all its forms. And thank you, good sir, for your supportive comment on my posting. It means a lot.


    Gary

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can understand that some of the writing in recent years can be taken as that.
    As far as the Classics I grew up with the 4th as you can tell by my avatar and site, I was at a disadvantage having to buy VHS or the Target books to make up for those prior to Tom Baker. I think the PBS station that showed the show stopped after Colin Baker took over. As far as my comment on your post, I enjoy your insight and humor, and if there is something that I can do on this side of the Screen for you don't hesitate to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I cant wait to see it. we'd planned to see it at the theatre that night--since it was my 40th bday, but we were so tired we called it a day. And since we dont get cable, we couldnt watch at home. But it'll be on Netflix someday! I'm still waiting to catch up on last season!! Ack, I'm so far behind. :(

    ReplyDelete
  18. Happy belated B-day!
    It will be worth the wait!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Oh, God bless, the comments are finally back :) Blogger has been behaving badly for days, and still isn't all healthy :(
    Emma Thompson recently said she would've loved to have been Dr Who :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Different sites I have been on with Disqus have had problems loading comments.
    Maybe she could guess star on a future episode.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I thought it was a great episode. Finally we get the long awaited explanation of what the Doctor did to end the Time War, and lots of angst. I didn't expect the reversal at the end to save Gallifrey, but I'm glad they did. I didn't like the idea of the Doctor as a genocidal maniac. And I'm hoping the show will start him on a quest to find and restore Gallifrey. So awesome to see all the Doctors together, as well. Love all the GIFs, too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oooo, illegal video sharing! That's stealing! This is no different than beating an old lady to death on the street and taking her purse. No different, morally speaking! You're a thief and a murderer if you download copyrighted material!


    Just kidding, I did the same thing. I don't have cable, and I'm not paying eight bucks on Amazon or iTunes for a one hour show. It's their fault for not pricing it at two dollars.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks! I remember in the episode "Dalek" when Christopher Eccleston had the gun and threaten the Dalek, this wasn't the same Doctor I grew up with.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I actually haven't seen the show. Not sure why, except maybe hockey's on at the same time. Otherwise, TV is rather horrid and doesn't hold my attention like it used to. I'll check to see if DW is on Netflix. Thanks for sharing this, David. Fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Have a happy thanksgiving!
    It might just be addicting....

    ReplyDelete
  26. i watched it, i watched it... i loved it, i am behind in the series... but was thrilled to the whole idea and time jumps. i so want to catch up on the rest, i just need more time.

    ReplyDelete
  27. I found myself grinning through the entire show. It was fantastic for so many reasons. So, I guess the War Doctor was actually the 9th, Eccleston the 10th, Tennant the 11th and Smith the 12th. I am looking forward to the Christmas episode, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't already sad about the thought of Matt Smith's, "But, I don't want to go," moment. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  28. This was one of the greatest episodes Moffatt has written! Love the gifs Man.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I haven't seen Dr. Who, but it must be totally fascinating.


    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  30. It can be intoxicating!
    Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete